“Without experimentation, a willingness to ask questions and try new things, we shall surely become static, repetitive, and moribund.”
– Anthony Bourdain
Mise en place is a French term that means “putting in place” or “setting up.” In a business office environment, it refers to the practice of organizing and preparing all the necessary tools, materials, and equipment before beginning a task. The idea behind mise en place is to be as efficient and effective as possible by having everything you need ready and at hand.
Here are some ways to apply mise en place in a business office environment:
- Organize your workspace: Keep your desk clean and organized so that you can easily find what you need. Use tools like file folders, trays, and labels to keep everything in its place.
- Plan ahead: Take the time to think about what you need to accomplish and gather all the materials and resources you will need before you begin.
- Prepare materials: Print out any documents you will need, make copies, and have pens and other writing utensils at the ready.
- Set up your computer: Make sure your computer is turned on and all the necessary programs are open and ready to use.
- Anticipate needs: Think about what you might need during your workday and have it within reach. This might include snacks, water, or other supplies.
By following these steps, you can save time and reduce stress by being prepared and organized. Mise en place can help you work more efficiently and effectively, and can also help create a sense of order and control in your work environment.